Thursday, May 6, 2010

Paris - Day 2

Started my second day bright and early... :) Took the train into town... left mummy in the hotel coz all the subway staircases took a toll on her... Passed a scenic bridge with a clear view of the Eiffel Tower...

This is an extremely weird sign I came about... and there were many of the same sign everywhere... what does it mean? ' Men are not allowed to hold little girls' hands??' It just didnt make much sense... maybe someone who knows can tell me... haha!!

Got ourselves to Saint Chappelle which is the church smack dab in the middle of Paris.... Famous for it's stain glass windows...wait til you see the pictures...

This was the lower hall.... A common factor for all the buildings I have visited : Gold!!! In abundance... Seriously...

Went upstairs and what I saw took my breath away.... This is called the Rose glass because of the design...each pane has a different picture depicting some moment in time way back when....

The handwork was so intricate... every section was handpainted and there were 6 of these on each side... each telling a time which is told in the bible from Adam and Eve....

The stairwell going up on in this case me going down.... spirally...

Then we walked over to Notre Dame Cathedral.... the one and only church which photos I could take but because flash was not allowed it does look a tad dark....

The organ which is still fully functional... Wow... how do you play such a thing?

Looking up you can see that the ceiling of the cathedral is actually bricks which were laid to shape a dome... now that is what I call skills....

After that Ai Li left me to climb the Tower all by myself... :( Coz it was 387 steps up and we have to pay to climb... talk about paying to be tortured...haha!! Worst thing was that everyone seemed so fit... because it was also a spiral staircase which can only fit one person so everyone was climbing in single file and even the old grandmas and grandpas didnt seem to need to stop and take a breather so poor aichin had to drag herself up non stop also although I was feeling a bit winded nearing the top... hahah!! But the view of the entire Paris was really really nice.... Not forgetting the famous gargoyles... This one looks bored...


This is what the gargoyles look at on a daily basis... Dont know why he is so bored... The view was fantastic.....

I found the gargoyles really interesting because I could not find 2 of the same one... they were all different doing different things... sticking their tongue out, staring, eating, perching etc.... and some had wings, some looked like panthers....




After Notre Dame we had to rush back to the hotel and collect my mum to be to the louvre... not because he was desperate to see it but coz we already got the tickets... haha!!
This is the below one of the pyramids... It reflects the pyramid at the top and there is a tiny one at the bottom as well...
We didnt have much time to go about but there were many paintings, statues and artifacts... but of course the main reason why you go is for this... The Mona Lisa.... After looking at it I thought... "What is so great? Painting nia ma...." haha!! I think I am not cultured enough..... Now this I found super fascinating... who would have thought to sculpt this? haha!!
We actually got in through the side entrance coz everyone told us the main one would have a long line....but you cant leave the Lourve without seeing it from the outside right?
So I decided to pick it up along with me... haha!!!
Then off we went to Champ Elysee and visited Louis Vuitton... So not worth it..You are treated so bad...no one would bother with you and you had to line up to get in...jeez!!!
So we walked out and went to see Arc De Triomphe which again I ask "So what is do great?" haha!! I am so not getting why we need to see such monuments... I mean I know it is symbolic but still....
So that was it for Day 2.... mum was so irked by the LV ppl we decided to go back to the hotel early.... Next morning we are off to another country... :)

5 comments:

Lain said...

the little pyramid is part of the Da Vinci code! but i can't remember what.....

mw said...

wow.. love the golden lower hall.. the colours truly shine.

Not to be pedantic but some of those aren't gargoyles. To be considered a gargoyle, they have to spout water. The statues that don't are called grotesque.

Awaits day 3 :)

Nihcia said...

E: Yeah, suppose to have some meaning wan... should have looked for the holy grail huh? hehe!!

MW: Is it? I didnt know that. But so many sites call them gargoyles... Never seem one spouting water...
Patience is a virtue... :P

mw said...

They don't have to be spouting water at that time :P.

Gargoyles are used to direct water from the rooftops to below. The ones you posted looked more like grotesques. Unfortunately a lot of people mistake them as gargoyles too.

mocha said...

when i was in LV, we were treated very well...hehe... and got the thing we wanted and got all the GST thingy sorted out in no time.... just unlucky i guess....

did u try the beef noodle in chinatown?? super yummy... haha...