Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Shell Ecorace (long overdued)

In a last minute decision I decided to join a group of colleagues whom I was not acquainted with yet to participate in a race organised by Shell which they called Ecorace held on 2 Oct... (yes, this post is a month la... )

The race was a 4 part race which started off with a series of mini challenges like making roti canai, shifting fruits without our hands (watermelon was most difficult) etc...

So here we are in the beginning...

Then the second part was for us to scour the grounds of Batu Caves and find the actual matches to a bunch of photos we were given... Of course the photos led all the way up the stairs of Batu Caves... it wasnt as bad as I expected..haha! I have never been up but it was pretty easy...
Then we had to drive to the next location (while driving we had a mini treasure hunt) to go jungle trekking/hiking.... We went to Gua Damai which was located behind Batu Caves... surprisingly the trek was quite challenging due to the wet soil... After some time, the whole bottom of our shoes were filled with mud and could no longer grip the the ground and I slipped quite a number of times... The lucky thing was that we were kinda late in the treasure hunting so we arrived later than the main group of ppl...Blessing in disguise because we took the correct route while that group went the wrong way so we manage to finish the trekking in just over an hour....

You wouldnt believe what was the 4th challenge...after the really really tiring one-hour hike, we had to rock climb... and I mean real rock climb..not the studio walls but the actual surface of the cave.... The route I had to take was a 6A in terms of difficulty...Dont know how to explain but tough la... haha!!
Here is me getting ready to climb...
Hmm... where can I place my foot?
Wah...!! Target in sight! A bit more only... But how do I get there? no place to hold!!!
Finally I am just a few feet away....
Bit more bit more....
Yaaaayyy!!! I am there!! let me down...let me down!!! My arms were aching... Yes yes, professional rock climbers use their leg strength not arm... but I am not a professional.. so arms it is... :D (thank you Mr. Belayer, I knew you were kinda pulling me as well..hehe!)
And so that was the end of the race... by then our arms and legs were aching...I had so many bruises from the falls during the trekking... it was not a pretty sight...
But... guess what??!!! Hehehe!! My team came in 2nd place!!! Hurray for the underdogs.. All the other teams were formed way in advance but we managed to pull through... I must give credit to my teammates..they were fantastic!!! :D Real troopers!!!

We did good for amateurs....

No comments: