Friday, November 12, 2010

Wanton noodles and good memories....

Yesterday night I completed a telecon at 10pm and I was famished by the end of it.. It doesnt help that I was working from KLCC and I did not have the access pass to the office yet.. I cant go out and grab a bite before the 8pm call coz I didnt have the reception is buzz me in... So waited I did...

By the time I got out of the office all the shops in KLCC were closing so no food there.. :( Hopped into my car, fren asked me to drive to Subang and meet him up... Was contemplating it at first until my stomach started growling.. It was protesting against the long wait so as I was driving along Sg Besi I spotted the Wanton Noodle shop which was always jam packed with people... Always wondered why but I have never tried it prior to yesterday... So I decided, what the heck! let's stop and try then....

I ordered the standard Char Siew Wanton Noodles and waited a mere 5 mins for it to be served... Took my first bite and it brought back memories...

I started reminiscing about the good old days when I was still a small kuchirat... Our family used to drive down to Singapore every Chinese New Year and Christmas and it was a ritual to always stop at Ayer Hitam on our way down and have a plate of Char Siew Wanton Noodles... those were the good old days when we still had to use the trunk road to get to Singapore so it was a 7 hours drive. After a 4.5 hours drive the stop over was very much welcomed for us to stretch our legs and fill our tummies... the noodles were springy and had a very nice texture to it.... It just tasted really good.. and there would be aunties holding a wooden cross-like looking holder which they use to hang little bags of Okra and french beans for sale... The whole experience was very rustic... :)

As all good things, the ritual came to an end when PLUS highway was built and although sometimes we still drive into Ayer Hitam as a stopover, the Wanton noodle shop was never there anymore... They probably could not sustain with the drop in traffic since the highway started operations... What a waste... :( and I never found another wanton noodle shop that served that same kind of noodles...Until yesterday...

Yes, back to present... this wanton noodles was as close as possible to the one I had back in Ayer Hitam...

or maybe I was just really hungry....

All gone....

No comments: