Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Balik Kampung!!

Merdeka!! Merdeka!! Merdeka!! Yaay!! Long weekend... oops.. how un-patriotic I am... hehe!! Anyway.... last minute plan... Ai Li was given a half day off by her company on Thursday (30 Aug 2007) because they were located in KL and there was going to be road closures around that area... So Ai Li was excited since it became and even longer break... So she suggested for us to balik kampung.... kampung being Singapore...
No, I am not Singaporean whole nor half... just that my maternal side has long shifted to Singapore to live.. They have been there since before I was born... The whole lot of them.. Grandfather, Grandmother, Uncles, Aunties and cousins... Plus my sis Ai May is also there now so its kampung to me... So I took half day leave on Thursday too so that we could have an early start...
Ai Li insisted we used the second link so that we do not get caught in the jam... so off we went.. Dad drove all the way until right before the second link and Ai Li took over the wheel... obviously everyone thought that she would know the way since she insisted on that route.. See see she say she dun know... and who had to come to the rescue? Who else.. Ai Chin la... all those trips into Singapore during uni days were not wasted afterall.. I had a fairly good sense of direction in Singapore.. though I didnt really know the way but I managed to get us to my sister's house... No thanks to my dad who just kept on complaining.. saying we were lost, why dun we call ai may and ask for directions, why dun we call my cousin to ask for directions.. etc..
But I insisted we were not lost... We really werent.. we might be taking a slightly longer route but I assure you I knew my way... hmmph... dad didnt believe.. :( So sad...
So what did we do there? Well the main reason dad agreed was because he arranged for a golf game on Friday... As for the rest of us, there wasnt much of an agenda.. Arrived on thursday night... Ai May was watching this Taiwanese serial... We sat and watch along.. then everyone went to sleep coz tomorrow is a working day but Ai Li and I stay awake to continue watch... Fuiyoo.. guess what time we slept? 0530.. haha!! Talk about getting more sleep during the holidays... not for us apparently.. hhehe!! And that also we didnt finish the series yet.. Woke up at 1400 the next day and continued... completed the series finally... haha!! So that was the whole of Friday.. we did go out for dinner but that was about it.. How uneventful... But hey.. isnt that what you do on a holiday.. relax and vege out.. especially when you balik kampung... I know Singapore is not the normal kampung but it is still kampung to us... No need to go anywhere wan...
Then came Saturday... Dad wanted to catch a movie... So we booked Bourne Ultimatum.... But first we went to Central.. this new mall at Clarke Quay... not so great..weird layout... nothing nice to see or buy though me and Ai May did buy the same ring each... it was cheap... relatively la.. So then we went to Vivo City.. also a new mall..a huge one at that... Decided to have lunch at this place called Bosses... In chinese the wording was 'Hak Se Wui'... mind my han yu pinyin.. didnt learn... but I think you know what I mean... so I was thinking.. shouldnt the place be called 'Triads' instead..? Took some photos with my phone so mind the clarity... hehe!! Place was quite nice.. food was not too bad.. Dim Sum was on half price after 1400... cool...

Bosses... Cool logo huh? Using camera phone so not too clear...

Hanging Lanterns... Nice....

Me and Mummy....

Rarely occurance.. Ai May, Ai Li & Ai Chin.. in sequence...

Papa & Ai May...

Some of the food.. this one is so full with spring onions.. Eww...
XO Char Siew Sow.... Yummy...

Fish and Toufu Dumpling...
3 Mushroom Chee Cheong Fun.. Nice.. All Gone... hehe!!

Cute Teapot and cup right?

Then we went off the Singapore Plaza to watch movie... saw ppl buying nachos with cheese dip.. couldnt resist so bought some myself.. sinfully fattening.. but yum yum... hehe!! The show was quite good too... We came across something funny while at the cinema...

At the Platinum Card line...

While my bro-in-law was in line to collect our tickets he was lining up at the line next to the platinum card reservation line.. and there was a few young teenagers or youths in the line and right behind them was this older man... So the older man taps one of the youngers ones on the shoulder and said... " Excuse me... but this line is only for platinum card holders"... Guess what happened next? All the young kids in that line turned around and flashed their platinum card at him... hahaha!! farnie... they just didnt say a word and just whipped out their card... haha!! goes to show... don't underestimate the buying power of the younger generation.. they are armed with mummy and daddy's platinum cards... :D
We actually saw another funny thing while taking the MRT around... I didnt manage to snap a picture of the first station.. but I did find a postcard with the same msg.. so this is what it says...


All over the station it was saying.. dun eat poultry skin.. dun eat rice cooked with coconut milk... dun eat pastries... dun each fried food... all the msg was saying that it was bad for your health...

But then..... we stepped off the train to change lines and guess what the next station was full of?

Now how can you fight with that? hahaah!! I think the government's warning has fallen onto deaf ears.. or more like blind eyes... haha!! Burger King dont care... but then again I think the health ad was a bit overboard.. I dont think all those stuff are unhealthy... as long as you take them in moderations... right? What is the point of living and eating if you need to avoid all those?

Oh one more picture... this one is precious... It has not been seen done for over 30 years...

hehe!! my dad on public transportation.. He hasnt done this since he was in high school taking the bus... hahah!!!
So then Sunday came by... last day to Singapore.. didnt do much..had lunch.. visited grandma and headed straight home... Thank God my dad doesnt trust my driving so he drove all the way... It was jam from Malacca to Nilai.. Ouch... poor daddy... hehe!!

One final photo... cute traffic light on the last day... hehe!!

6 comments:

mocha said...

how to get lost in s'pore?? as long as u never drive into the sea, u are fine... hehe....
reminds me of a mexican attache working in the mexican embassy.... she was from bangsar towards jalan ampang.... got lost for 2 hours.... all tired and sobbing... only realized she was lost when she saw the sign board welcome to Melaka... haha... the only place she knows besides KL... hahaha...

Nihcia said...

aiyo....hahah!! this one too serious already..
you and my dad same thing ler.. the army got nothing else better to teach, teach you how to say this is it? :P
I repeat... I was not lost.. at all.. I knew my way!! :P

mocha said...

hehe...i didnt say u were lost... just say that u cant get lost in spore as long u never drive into the sea... hehe...
well, we came from the same army...hahah....

Nihcia said...

ya I know..but implication was there about me not knowing my way correctly.. hehe!! Kenot be lost but can dun know the way ma.. :P

Yalar.. I wonder what they teach you guys in the army wan...
tsk tsk tsk...
then 20 years no change wan...

mocha said...

oh gosh.... i will be the same me 20 years from now?? hehe.... good also lar... hehe....i will eventually eat onli chinese, japs and korean... ehhe....

Nihcia said...

haha!! waah... already planning the menu... farnie.. so better eat more steaks while you like them... future it will be sashimi and steam fish...