Friday, October 19, 2007

Global Warming.... Closer than you think....

I received a forwarded mail today with these pictures....


I believe these photos were not recent... so me a bit outdated... but seeing these photos were really disturbing... what has our earth come to? The eco-system is so out of whack... and it is all because of us....
What makes these pictures even more disturbing is that we are obviously not educated enough to know how to react to these situation... Do we just stand there and look in awe when nature strikes back at us? My Gosh....!!! If this is what happened during Tsunami (the first few minutes of it... ) no wonder so many died... not all was necessary if we were taught how to handle such disasters...
Quite some time ago, I watch a documentary titled 'An Inconvenient Truth" by Al Gore which was showing in selected theaters in the city... The facts were shocking.... much worse than I would have expected... Not that I was naive enough to believe that our onslaught on nature would never backfire but then again I never expected it to be so close... Based on the documentary... at our current rate of continuous development without care which is the main reason for global warming, we are looking at an earth that mankind cannot survive on in as soon as 40-50 years... that is within my lifespan... so this is no laughing matter...
Despite the fact that we may not be one of the highest contributors to this effect... (apparently US and China is high up there in the ranking list) but the effects can be seen on our shores... and I think it doesnt take much for us to be eliminated from the face of the earth... if global warming continues at the rate that it does and the polar caps do melt.. trust me.. Malaysia might be one of the first few countries (maybe first 100.. I am not sure...) to drown... We are after all surrounded by the sea... Based on the documentary... New York might not even be there anymore... so there is much need to re-built the world trade center...
Anyway... I am no experts but if you have the time.. or maybe you should make time and just watch this documentary...

No comments: