Thursday, March 29, 2007

Travel Insurance....

I just got a mail from the company which i bought travel insurance from last December... They were requesting fora response to a mail they sent me on medical claim which i did not claim for... but then their triggered me of something else which happened which I was not too happy about....
I went on a holiday last christmas and I bought a travellers insurance just for in case purposes since it covers lost baggage, damage baggage, lost money, flight delay etc... since these items are not part of your standard medical insurance policy so i decided to be a bit more secure...
With that said, unluckily I did have reason to claim. My luggage was damaged through the multiple transits... so the zipper was broken (someone must have tried to steal something)... one of the legs was gone (must have been from the throwing here and there!!) and basically the luggage was just worned in all places...
So at the arrival hall when I found all this, I immediately called the insurance company to check on how do I go about claiming... since they always have so many procedures so better be safe than sorry...then they said i need a report from the airport personnel to verify that my luggage was indeed damaged.. So I went to look for the guy... friendly fella.. said that since I was taking SIA ( good airlines), they themselves have such a service whereby if luggage is damaged, they will repair for me.. I just needed to call them but anyhow he made the report for me.
So I called the insurance the next day to start my processing..aparently claimed should be done within a week of your return... SO I called... told them my luggage got damaged and i wanna claim, got all the docs they wanted... then they ask "what airline were you on miss?" I said SIA and immediately they said, " Oh! SIA has a luggage repair service. Why don't you call them instead. They will repair it for you for free. We only allow claims for airlines that do not take such responsibility." I was like, WHAT?? why not... "Sorry miss, it is our policy". Rubbish... they are just talking cock la... what a stupid policy....
Imagine this, I get myself involved in an accident and is severely injured during my travel.. I want to claim my travel insurance and they ask "Miss, do you have your own medical insurance? Yes ar? Like that you cant claim us miss... you need to claim from your own medical insurance... We only approve claims if party is not covered by their own insurance. It is our policy!" Then why the heck do ppl buy travel insurance for? For fun? Too much money dun know where to spend it? Ridiculous!!!
So it means, only if you are not medically covered personally, and you only fly budget airlines do you need to buy travel insurance.. or else.. dont bother.. You cant claim them anyway... policy wor... stupid..!!! chances are high a person who is not medically covered and only fly budget airlines will also not have the money or is not willing to spend the money on travel insurance.. So Agencies which offer travel insurance is an ALL PROFIT business la.. can never loose wan... Like that everyone should start such a business.... How can the clauses be so ridiculous.??!! I understand the general policy that does not allow you to claim two insurances simultaneously for one incident.. that is only fair.. but at least we should be able to choose which party we want to claim right?
After all said...I will definitely think twice before i buy travel insurance again.. no point whatsoever....!!! you should consider this too!!
So at the end, I claimed SIA which were so nice and prompt with their service. They even come to the house to pick up my bag and took it for repair and send it back to my home... So nice right? So Whenever possible, you should fly SIA. I think there are many airlines which has such a service as well but i dont know them so can't really list them.... If you know of them, let me know!!

No comments: