Monday, May 5, 2008

My trip to Tesco...

This must be one of the most entertaining and aggravating trips I have had to Tesco in Malacca...

Firstly when I got there... me and my sis needed to wait for my mum and aunt to go to the restroom... so we just hung around and as usual I will hug her and stand... (dun ask me why.. must be out of habit.. she is really nice to hug... cushiony.. haha!!) But soon after I started leaning on her while hugging every person who walked by started staring... some with contempt.... some with disgust.. some took double takes and some even called their frens over to take a look...!! Why? coz they have seen something abnormal? 2 sisters hugging... or 2 lesbians showing their affections? At that point, my sister and I were laughing non stop.. haha!! It was hilarious to see everyone's faces.... I tried snapping a photo of their faces but didnt manage it..but I am sure you can imagine the look on their faces... It was just so funny that I suggested to my sister.. why dont we give each other a kiss and see how they react...?!! haha!! Of course we didnt do it but it tickled us to imagine... Seems like Malaysians or maybe just Malaccans are still not open minded enough to accept such public openness be it between 2 sisters or even a couple... much less a pair of homosexuals.... with that we ended our public display of affections...

So off into Tesco we went to shop for groceries for my grandma and the 2 maids taking care of her... The shopping really got me irked... Why? Have a look for yourselves...

Everything we bought was Tesco brand... I am irked not because of the brand nor am I saying it is of lousy quality.. I wouldnt know since I do not use them.... What got on my nerves was the reason behind the purchases... The target of purchase? "Whichever is the cheapest!!"...

I do not mean to look down nor insult those who do use the Tesco brand.. trust me that is not my intentions... I do understand that it is a matter of affordability.... I am also not trying to air my dirty laundry or my family's dirty laundry at that but I needed an outlet... What I am merely doing is expressing my displeasure that although better brands can be afforded the choice was still for the cheapest... Reason being? Most of the items will be used for the 2 maids instead of my grandma... Need we be so cheap...??!!! (trust me I am not in on this choice of purchase.. I was merely following instructions...) My grandma doesnt have many more years of life to live and should she be spending the last few years using/consuming the cheapest of the cheap product just because most of it will go to the maid... I would think differently... At least she would also use some of the good stuff even if the maid uses more...

It actually came to a point where even the cheapest is not good enough.. I needed to get the jumbo pack to ensure it is cheaper... Gosh!!!!

Yes, she insisted not to move to KL after grandpa's death... and rather live in Malacca... and Yes... everyone has a career in Malacca so they cant move back to Malacca.. so only solution was to hire maids instead... But why so stingy? It is like a punishment of sorts...

All my grandma's kids are probably earning 5 figure salaries... Is it justified that just because the maids uses more thus we should not be wasting money by providing better wuality products for them to use... At the least it need not be high end products but middle range products is sufficient right? Will it really cost that much more? Maybe a couple of hundreds more? I just cannot for the life of me agree to such an arrangement... Already nobody is around often ( dont blame them coz everyone has their own family life to lead) but the least you could do is give the best that you can while you can...

This is my 2 cents worth....

No comments: